August 8, 2010
Many people think that once they have a website, people will start flocking to their business. However, the internet is just another tool to use along with traditional marketing. And there are more ways to market the website than you might think.
- Market your website address to your current clientèle. This can be done by adding your website address to your letterhead, business cards, e-mail signatures and plain old word of mouth. Make sure to have content that is fresh and usable to your current clients though.
- Survey your clients. Ask your current clients if the website is working for them and what you can improve upon. It is important to listen to what each client says and if more than one client mentions it, then the item needs to be changed or added.
- Research your competitors and look over their website. Write down what you think they have done well and what they can improve upon. How does your business differ? Why should people come to you instead of them?
- During that research, look at the keywords, description and title of the website. Do these same keywords work for your business? How would you describe your own company? Ask your current clients what keywords they would use to find you on the internet. It is usually not the words you would think but you can use this to your advantage.
- Add your website address to the main search engines. Each search engine has an organic type of search that hunts the internet for new websites, however, each search engine is different and each one has a different time frame on when they may index your site. Being pro-active and adding your site will help to get your site indexed faster.
- Budget for PPC (pay-per-click) in your normal marketing budget. To get higher rankings and more relevant rankings, PPC is the best way to go. This means that you only pay when a user clicks on the link to go to your site. Knowing which keywords to use (See #4) will save you time and money when marketing your site through ppc.